- You are here: Home > Purchasing Manager
You are here
The Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) is an international biomedical research institute of excellence, based in Barcelona, Spain, with more than 400 scientists from 44 countries. The CRG is composed by an interdisciplinary, motivated and creative scientific team which is supported both by a flexible and efficient administration and by high-end and innovative technologies.
In April 2021, the Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) received the renewal of the 'HR Excellence in Research' Award from the European Commission. This is a recognition of the Institute's commitment to developing an HR Strategy for Researchers, designed to bring the practices and procedures in line with the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Charter and Code).
Please, check out our Recruitment Policy
We are looking for a Purchasing Manager with interest in the research/academic environment to lead the procurement team in the Finance Department and coordinate the efforts needed to comply and implement the increased workload and requirements of the public procurement regulations. The ideal candidate will have commercial awareness, excellent negotiation skills, ability to lead, monitor and motivate a team, a head for numbers and analytics with an eye for continuous improvement. Resilience, time management and the ability to deliver to deadlines as well as service orientation are also essential skills for the position.
Main responsibilities include:
• Oversee daily operations of the procurement area. Coordinate and lead Procurement team
• Monitor compliance with internal and external purchasing regulations
• Overview user’s requests and approve Purchase Orders to be sent to suppliers
• Reply and manage service calls sent from end users when necessary
• Lead negotiation with external vendors to secure the most advantageous terms. Collect information and prepare comparatives among different suppliers. Scout for potential suppliers and build good relationships with them
• Oversee electronic procurement tools and purchasing portal. Maintain the ERP system periodic operations such as updating foreign currencies conversion, reconciling inventory transactions and conduct monthly closures
• Track, control and report key functional metrics and implement measures to correct deviations and enhance performance. Provide ad-hoc reporting of procurement dada
• Train users with procurement procedures and maintain communication channels to end-users updated (emailing, intranet, etc)
About the department
The procurement team is composed of six members and one externalized position in the warehouse, and reports to the Head of the Finance & Purchase Department. Its purpose is to maximize value for money of Centre’s purchases, and to guarantee delivery time, quality of goods and services, and compliance in public procurement regulations.
The area manages the procurement of the CRG which includes the National Centre for Genomic Analysis (CNAG-CRG) located at the Parc Científic de Barcelona (PCB). Purchases of goods and services amount about 20 million euro per year, of which 12 million euro are related to consumables, scientific services, maintenance services and others. Equipment purchases amount about 2 million euro per year. The area prepares Invitations-To-Tender, Requests-For-Quotation, Contracts and Purchase Orders (about 19.000 PO per year) to about 200 different national suppliers and 100 international suppliers. Products purchased are multiple; most of them are chemicals, reagents and others, resulting in thousands of different items.
The Oracle EBS ERP system together with a B2B sourcing and procurement portal are the main tools to manage procurement at CRG.
Whom would we like to hire?
• You have knowledge of Spanish public procurement regulations
• You have knowledge of international trade (import/export)
• You have 5 years’ experience in procurement, supply chain management or equivalent experience
Desirable but not required/ Nice to have
• You have experience in public research management
• You have experience in life-science industry or environment (biology, medicine, pharma or chemistry)
Education and training
• You hold a Bachelor’s degree (business administration, engineering, etc)
• You have an advanced level of English, Spanish and Catalan, spoken and written
• You are an MS Office advanced user with an excellent command in excel
• You have experience with ERP Systems, website portals and e-procurement
• You have excellent negotiation skills and user orientation
• You have good team management skills
• You are proactive, hands-on and problem resolution oriented
• You are rigorous and resilient.
• You are flexible and able to respond to change
• You have good organizational skills
• You have the ability to cope with the pressure of demanding targets and tight deadlines
The Offer – Working Conditions
• Contract duration: Permanent position.
• Estimated annual gross salary: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and consistent with our pay scales.
• Target start date: December, 2021.
We provide a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructures, and unique professional career development opportunities. To check out our training and development portfolio, please visit our website in the training section.
We offer and promote a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applicants regardless of age, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity.
The CRG is committed to reconcile a work and family life of its employees and are offering extended vacation period and the possibility to benefit from flexible working hours.
All applications must include:
1. A motivation letter addressed to Jaume Bacardit (Head of Finance & Purchase Department).
2. A complete CV including contact details.
3. Contact details of two referees.
All applications must be addressed to Jaume Bacardit and be submitted online through the "Apply" button below.
₋ Pre-selection: The pre-selection process will be based on qualifications and expertise reflected on the candidates CVs. It will be merit-based.
₋ Interview: Preselected candidates will be interviewed by the Hiring Manager of the position and a selection panel if required.
₋ Offer Letter: Once the successful candidate is identified the Human Resources department will send a Job Offer, specifying the start day, salary, working conditions, among other important details.
Deadline: Please submit your application by October 21, 2021.
Suggestions: The CRG believes in ongoing improvement and promotes a culture of feedback. This is one of the reasons we have in place, at your disposal as a candidate, a mechanism to gather your suggestions/complaints concerning your candidate experience in our recruitment processes. Your feedback really matters to us in our aim at creating a positive candidate journey. You can make a difference and help us improve by letting us know your suggestions through the following form.