- You are here: Home > Protein Production Technician
You are here
Protein Production Technician
Protein Production Technician
The Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) is an international biomedical research institute of excellence, based in Barcelona, Spain, with more than 400 scientists from 44 countries. The CRG shares principles of an interdisciplinary, motivated and creative scientific team that is supported by high-end and innovative technologies and a flexible and efficient administration.
In November 2013, the Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) received the 'HR Excellence in Research' logo from the European Commission. This is a recognition of the Institute's commitment to developing an HR Strategy for Researchers, designed to bring the practices and procedures in line with the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Charter and Code).
The successful candidate’s role will be to assist a PhD student in her project “Understanding the molecular basis of neuronal 3’UTR length-dependent mRNA sorting”. In this project, several recombinant full-length proteins and RNAs are required in order to examine their role in neuronal mRNA transport.
The successful candidate will therefore mainly assist in in vitro transcription, protein production and purification. Additionally, he/she will assist in testing the functionality of the purified components using biochemical techniques such as microscale thermophoresis (MST) and total internal reflection fluorescence microscopy (TIRF-M).
About the team
Sebastian Maurer has used biochemical in vitro reconstitutions successfully throughout his career to answer important biological questions. Addressed problems range from questions of transcription initiation and chromatin organisation in bacteria to regulation of the microtubule cytoskeleton and control of neuronal mRNA transport.
Results were published in high ranking peer-reviewed journals (e.g. Maurer et al. 2006, EMBOJ; Maurer et al. 2011, PNAS; Maurer et al. 2012, CELL; Maurer et al. 2014, Curr.Biol). Since the Maurer lab was setup at CRG in 2014, 5 PhDs joined the lab (to graduate in 2018, 2020 and 2023) and 6 intern students plus 1 master student were trained in the lab. All students are either, still studying or went on to do their PhDs at excellent European universities or institutes as Institute Curie Paris, MDC Berlin and IMP Vienna.
Two very experienced technicians working in the Maurer laboratory provide expertise and training. Silvia Speroni has extensive experience with yeast-two and -three hybrid screens and biophysical protein characterisation. She is training PhDs in the laboratory hands-on in these techniques. Maria Gili is supporting the laboratory by training and carrying out clonings, protein expressions and protein purifications.
Whom would we like to hire?
- You have proven experience in/ with molecular biology and chemistry
Desirable but not required/ Nice to have
- You have knowledge about chemistry, neurobiology live-cell imaging
Education and training
- You hold a master in Neurochemistry
- You are proficient in English
- You have advanced MS Office skills
- You have highly developed organization skills
- You have very good communication skills
- You have attention to detail
- You have ability to learn specific, practical techniques and to apply this knowledge to solve technical problems
The Offer – Working Conditions
- Contract duration: 6 months, part time position
- Estimated annual gross salary: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and consistent with our pay scales.
- Target start date: February 2020
We provide a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructures, and unique professional career development opportunities. To check out our training and development portfolio, please visit our website in the training section.
We offer and promote a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applicants regardless of age, disability, gender, nationality, race, religion or sexual orientation.
The CRG is committed to reconcile a work and family life of its employees and are offering extended vacation period and the possibility to benefit from flexible working hours.
All applications must include:
- A motivation letter addressed to Dr. Sebastian Maurer.
- A complete CV including contact details.
- Contact details of two referees.
All applications must be addressed to Dr. Sebastian Maurer and be submitted online through the "Apply" button below.
- Pre-selection: The pre-selection process will be based on qualifications and expertise reflected on the candidates CVS. It will be merit-based.
- Interview: Preselected candidates will be interviewed by the Hiring Manager of the position and a selection panel if required.
- Offer Letter: Once the successful candidate is identified the Human Resources department will send a Job Offer, specifying the start day, salary, working conditions, among other important details.
Deadline: Please submit your application by 4th of December 2019.