- You are here: Home > IT Engineer
You are here
The Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) is an international biomedical research institute of excellence, based in Barcelona, Spain, with more than 400 scientists from 44 countries. The CRG is composed by an interdisciplinary, motivated and creative scientific team which is supported both by a flexible and efficient administration and by high-end and innovative technologies.
In April 2021, the Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) received the renewal of the 'HR Excellence in Research' Award from the European Commission. This is a recognition of the Institute's commitment to developing an HR Strategy for Researchers, designed to bring the practices and procedures in line with the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Charter and Code).
Please, check out our Recruitment Policy
The IT Engineer will work with the other IT team members across the 4 main areas managed by the IT Team. Initially around 30-50% of the work is likely to be in the helpdesk area with the rest of the time spent in the other 3 areas. This will reduce over time. All issues across all the areas are managed using a ticket tracking system. The main responsibilities of the 4 areas are:
o To provide general IT support to the users and to triage issues to more specialist team members.
o Installation and support of computer Hardware and Software, AV equipment in meeting rooms, Network infrastructure, printers, telephony and mobile devices
o Maintaining the Inventory database of all IT Equipment and Software
o Management of the IT infrastructure including network switches and firewalls, storage systems and servers
o Management and support of the services provided by the IT department including Email, Microsoft Teams, SharePoint, the Virtualization Platforms and Active Directory
o Monitoring of the infrastructure and services as well as setting up and configuring new monitoring tools
o Maintenance of current websites including upgrading frameworks, managing change requests and ensuring security
o Developing new websites and webapps using appropriate frameworks and software engineering principles
o Liaising with other teams and departments within CRG to provide advice on all matters related to websites and webapps.
• Scientific IT:
o Support and training for users so that they can use the Scientific IT resources effectively
o Management and configuration of existing HPC infrastructure including compute nodes, petabyte scale storage systems and fast network interconnects
o Design, installation and configuration of new systems suitable to enable the Scientific research being done at the institute.
The role will be very flexible and will evolve based on the particular skills of the applicant. The applicant will be expected to specialise in at least one of these 4 main areas.
About the department
The IT Department is responsible for providing IT services to over 500 users in two different locations (Barcelona Biomedical Research Park -PRBB and Barcelona Scientific Park -PCB). There are currently 8 team members under the management of the Head of IT.
Whom would we like to hire?
Must Have: You should be able to satisfy all these requirements.
• You have basic experience in systems administration
• You have ability to effectively explain technical issues to non-technical users
• You have ability to provide a high quality customer-focused IT support service
Desirable: You should be able to satisfy at least 2 of these requirements.
• You have experience in very large scale IT systems management
• You have ability to design and implement appropriate IT and networking architectures
• You have familiarity with Configuration Management Systems such as Puppet or Ansible
• You have experience of using source code control systems (e.g. git)
• You have experience in Software Development
• You have experience working in a DevOps or Infrastructure-As-Code environment
• You have a relational database administration experience
• You have experience with virtualization technologies (e.g. VMWare, Citrix, KVM, ProxMox)
• You have experience with Cloud Technologies (AWS, GCP, Azure, OpenStack)
• You have experience with petabyte scale storage systems (e.g. NetApp,nLustre, Isilon, GPFS, HDFS, iRODS, Ceph)
• You have experience with full-stack web infrastructure and deployment
• You have experience with security technologies and frameworks
• You have experience with tape library backup and software e.g. CommVault, Bacula
• You have experience in Windows and Unix operating systems
• You have experience in Microsoft Active Directory, ADFS, ISA Server, proxies
• You have experience in network, WIFI, SDN and Firewalls
• You have experience in Office 365 cloud services
• You have experience in management and monitoring tools (Nagios, Centreon, Cacti, Microsoft Systems Center)
Education and training
• You hold a degree in a quantitative field (e.g. Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Computational Biology, Bioinformatics)
• You are proficient in English
• You have basic familiarity with statistics and data visualization
• Initiative: Proactive, and results-oriented.
• Communications: Strong communication skills; written and verbal. Ability to interact with a diverse audience.
• Planning & Prioritization: Ability to work to tight deadlines, and making decisions.
• Teamwork: Ability to work independently as well as being a team player.
• Collaboration: Can work collaboratively under standard and established procedures.
• Interpersonal relations: Able to build and maintain good relationships with internal and external colleagues at all levels.
• You have strong problem solving skills and critical thinking
The Offer – Working Conditions
• Contract duration: 3 years initially with the possibility of a permanent position at the end of the contract. The first 6 months will be probationary.
• Estimated annual gross salary: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and consistent with our pay scales.
• Target start date: As soon as possible.
We provide a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructures, and unique professional career development opportunities. To check out our training and development portfolio, please visit our website in the training section.
We offer and promote a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applicants regardless of age, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity.
The CRG is committed to reconcile a work and family life of its employees and are offering extended vacation period and the possibility to benefit from flexible working hours.
All applications must include:
1. A motivation letter addressed to Emyr James.
2. A complete CV including contact details.
3. Contact details of two referees.
All applications must be addressed to Emyr James and be submitted online through the "Apply" button below.
₋ Pre-selection: The pre-selection process will be based on qualifications and expertise reflected on the candidates CVs. It will be merit-based.
₋ Interview: Preselected candidates will be interviewed by the Hiring Manager of the position and a selection panel if required.
₋ Offer Letter: Once the successful candidate is identified the Human Resources department will send a Job Offer, specifying the start day, salary, working conditions, among other important details.
Deadline: Please submit your application by June 25th, 2021.
Suggestions: The CRG believes in ongoing improvement and promotes a culture of feedback. This is one of the reasons we have in place, at your disposal as a candidate, a mechanism to gather your suggestions/complaints concerning your candidate experience in our recruitment processes. Your feedback really matters to us in our aim at creating a positive candidate journey. You can make a difference and help us improve by letting us know your suggestions through the following form.