- You are here: Home > Head of International and Scientific Affairs
You are here
Head of International and Scientific Affairs
Head of International and Scientific Affairs
The Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) is an international biomedical research institute of excellence, based in Barcelona, Spain, with more than 400 scientists from 44 countries. The CRG is composed by an interdisciplinary, motivated and creative scientific team, which is supported both by a flexible and efficient administration and by high-end and innovative technologies.
In April 2021, the Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) received the renewal of the 'HR Excellence in Research' Award from the European Commission. This is a recognition of the Institute's commitment to developing an HR Strategy for Researchers, designed to bring the practices and procedures in line with the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Charter and Code).
Please, check out our Recruitment Policy
CRG has a fully established and successful International and Scientific Affairs Office (ISA) whose mission is to strengthen the international and interdisciplinary dimension of the institute and create new opportunities in projects, training and collaborations for the scientific community. The office has a wide portfolio of EU coordinated projects, which includes 8 collaborative projects under FP7 and 12 projects under Horizon 2020.
We are looking for a motivated and experienced life sciences research manager to lead the ISA team and be the driving force in supporting the scientific strategy of the institute and fostering new opportunities in projects – in particular EU coordinated projects and strategic projects for the institute - training and strategic partnership for the CRG community.
You demonstrate strong leadership and management skills of complex projects and teams in an international environment and are able to communicate equally well with scientists, administrators, senior management and policy makers or other relevant stakeholders. You have experience in motivating and inspiring colleagues and are capable of contributing to the success of the whole organization as an important member of the senior management of the institute.
Reporting to the Director and working closely with the Managing Director, your responsibilities include:
• Support and coordinate the development of the CRG strategy plan and key institutional initiatives and policies, such as open science and research integrity.
• Foster and coordinate institutional alliances and partnerships, in particular institutional projects and initiatives to facilitate interdisciplinary collaboration, mostly in the field of translational research.
• Raise new European coordinated projects or projects with strategic institutional value with the team of scientific project managers and coordinate the management of coordinated and strategic competitive projects.
• Supervise and contribute to CRG training, including international courses on key topics of expertise of the CRG, as well as internal training activities for the scientific community, including courses to boost scientific/technological and complementary skills.
• Supervise the analysis of the CRG scientific publications to inform the institute´s strategy.
The successful candidate will be working closely with the scientific community, the Core Technology Programme and Administration, in particular with the Grants Office, HR, Communication, as well as the Technology and Business Development Office.
• Experience in a similar position will be an advantage but is not a requirement. Proven experience is required in at least scientific strategy, coordination of institutional alliances and partnerships, as well as raising of new European coordinated projects or projects with strategic institutional value
• Leadership and management of complex projects and teams in an international environment
• Expertise in open science policies will be an advantage
Education and Training
• University degree in life sciences. A PhD degree in life sciences and research experience will be an advantage
• Advanced level of spoken and written English
• Spanish and Catalan are an advantage
• Proficient IT skills (Excel, Power Point)
• Competence in project management
• Deep knowledge of EU policies and European Framework Programmes for Research and Innovation
Skills and Qualifications
• Leadership and team building
• Innovative mindset, constantly looking forward
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Proven influencing and collaboration skills
• Excellent organizational and analytical skills
• Ability to meet strict deadlines and work on several projects concurrently
• Team player and ability to work independently
• Proactive, flexible and problem-solving attitude
The Offer – Working Conditions
• Contract duration: Permanent contract.
• Estimated annual gross salary: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and consistent with our pay scales.
• Target start date: 15th November.
We provide a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructures, and unique professional career development opportunities. To check out our training and development portfolio, please visit our website in the training section.
We offer and promote a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applicants regardless of age, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity.
The CRG is committed to reconcile a work and family life of its employees and are offering extended vacation period and the possibility to benefit from flexible working hours.
All applications must include:
1. A motivation letter addressed to Luis Serrano.
2. A complete CV including contact details.
3. Two Reference Letters from your direct supervisors from your last two job experiences (please, include in your CV document the two Reference Letters).
All applications must be addressed to Luis Serrano and be submitted online through the "Apply" button below.
₋ Pre-selection: The pre-selection process will be based on qualifications and expertise reflected on the candidates CVs. It will be merit-based.
₋ Interview: Preselected candidates will be interviewed by the Hiring Manager of the position and a selection panel if required.
₋ Offer Letter: Once the successful candidate is identified the Human Resources department will send a Job Offer, specifying the start day, salary, working conditions, among other important details.
Deadline: Please submit your application by 31/10/2021.
Suggestions: The CRG believes in ongoing improvement and promotes a culture of feedback. This is one of the reasons we have in place, at your disposal as a candidate, a mechanism to gather your suggestions/complaints concerning your candidate experience in our recruitment processes. Your feedback really matters to us in our aim at creating a positive candidate journey. You can make a difference and help us improve by letting us know your suggestions through the following form.