- You are here: Home > Grants Specialist
You are here
The Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) is an international biomedical research institute of excellence, based in Barcelona, Spain, with more than 400 scientists from 44 countries. The CRG shares principles of an interdisciplinary, motivated and creative scientific team that is supported by high-end and innovative technologies and a flexible and efficient administration.
In November 2013, the Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) received the 'HR Excellence in Research' logo from the European Commission. This is a recognition of the Institute's commitment to developing an HR Strategy for Researchers, designed to bring the practices and procedures in line with the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Charter and Code).
We are looking for an enthusiastic Grants Specialist to join the team of the Grants Office.
Reporting to the Head of Grants Office, the Grants Specialist proactively assists the CRG community in securing competitive funds for research and other activities related to the institute’s strategic goals, following CRG internal policies and terms and conditions of the funding bodies.
This position is focused on the pre-award management of EC and NIH calls, although the post holder might seldom provide support for other types proposals as the need arises, working in liaison with the other administrative departments (i.e. Human Resources, Legal, International and Scientific Affairs, Finance).
The main responsibilities include:
- Identifying suitable funding sources and opportunities for internal dissemination to the CRG community, whilst providing proactive and tailored advice in securing competitive funding for their R&D&I activities.
- Providing professional guidance and support in preparing R&D&I to competitive calls from relevant funders (European Commission, National Institutes of Health).
- Coordinating the acceptance process, including the administrative, financial and legal internal review in liaison with the relevant departments and the hand-over of grants to the Funds Managers.
Occasional travelling is required locally and abroad.
About the department
The mission of the Grants Office is to proactively support the CRG community in securing competitive funds for research and institute-related activities, as well as to manage the principal investigators’ core and external funding, with an individualized professional support throughout the project life cycle.
The services offered by the Grants Office are:
- To act as a liaison between the CRG community on the one side and the funding agencies or sponsors/donors on the other side
- To identify and effectively disseminate the most suitable funding opportunities for the CRG community
- To provide comprehensive support in the preparation and submission of proposals and in grant acceptance
- To fulfil administrative and reporting requirements of the funding agencies or sponsors/donors for active grants
- To manage budgets and control competitive and external funds in compliance with the applicable regulations and CRG policies.
Whom would we like to hire?
- You have a minimum three-year experience in a similar position
- You have proven experience in managing applications to the major competitive calls from the EC as well as other international funding bodies
Desirable but not required
- You have demonstrated experience in financial management and reporting of national and international awards
- You have previous experience in a life-science environment
Education and training
- You hold a University degree. A relevant scientific or management degree may be an advantage
- You are fluent in English and Spanish
- Good knowledge of Catalan would be a plus
- You are an advanced user of MS Office (MS Word, Excel and Power Point)
- Initiative: Proactive, multi-tasking and results-oriented
- Analytical: Strong numerical skills, capable of performing high level analysis and convey key points to a variety of audiences
- Accuracy: Focus to work with accuracy and attention to detail
- Communications: Strong communication skills written and verbal. Ability to interact with a diverse audience. Organises workshops and project meetings
- Planning & Prioritization: Ability to work to tight deadlines
- Teamwork: Ability to work independently as well as being a team player
- Collaboration: Can work collaboratively under standard and established procedures
- Interpersonal relations: Able to build and maintain good relationships with internal and external colleagues at all levels
- Contract duration: Initial 3-year contract with the possibility to become a permanent position.
- Estimated annual gross salary: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and consistent with our pay scales.
- Target start date: May, 2020
We provide a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructures, and unique professional career development opportunities. To check out our training and development portfolio, please visit our website in the training section.
We offer and promote a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applicants regardless of age, disability, gender, nationality, race, religion or sexual orientation.
The CRG is committed to reconcile a work and family life of its employees and are offering extended vacation period and the possibility to benefit from flexible working hours.
All applications must include:
- A motivation letter addressed to Gabriele Picarella.
- A complete CV including contact details.
- Contact details of two referees.
All applications must be addressed to Gabriele Picarella and be submitted online through the "Apply" button below.
- Pre-selection: The pre-selection process will be based on qualifications and expertise reflected on the candidates CVS. It will be merit-based.
- Interview: Preselected candidates will be interviewed by the Hiring Manager of the position and a selection panel if required.
- Offer Letter: once the successful candidate is identified, the Human Resources department will send a Job Offer, specifying the start day, salary, working conditions, among other important details.
Deadline: Please submit your application by 15th April 2020.