- You are here: Home > Bioinformatician at the EGA team
You are here
Bioinformatician at the EGA team
Bioinformatician at the EGA team
The Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) is an international biomedical research institute of excellence, based in Barcelona, Spain, with more than 400 scientists from 44 countries. The CRG is composed by an interdisciplinary, motivated and creative scientific team which is supported both by a flexible and efficient administration and by high-end and innovative technologies.
In April 2021, the Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) received the renewal of the 'HR Excellence in Research' Award from the European Commission. This is a recognition of the Institute's commitment to developing an HR Strategy for Researchers, designed to bring the practices and procedures in line with the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Charter and Code).
Please, check out our Recruitment Policy
We are seeking a talented bioinformatician whose primary goal would be to be part of EGA’s Beacon project for variant discovery. Other role will include participating in ongoing projects at EGA (European Genome-Phenome Archive, (www.ega-archive.org) related to develop datasets analyses, data quality checks, data harmonization etc.
About the team
The Center for Genomic Regulation (CRG, www.crg.eu) in Barcelona is co-managing the EGA (European Genome-Phenome Archive, www.ega-archive.org) in partnership with the European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI, www.ebi.ac.uk) to explore and develop joint services based around human biomolecular data and its associated phenotype information. EGA is ELIXIR (www.elixir-europe.org) Core Data Resources and ELIXIR Recommended Deposition Repository and ELIXIR Spain (www.inab.es) service. It is supported by ELIXIR Spain, the Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC, www.bsc.es), the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF, www.upf.edu) and is based at the Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (PRBB, www.prbb.org).The EGA is involved in many precision medicine initiatives and projects and looking forward to provide advanced services for that community.
The EGA team at CRG is a diverse group currently composed by 16 members and steadily growing with developers, curators and system administrators.
Whom would we like to hire?
• You have strong experience in web development using Python (Django), Ruby (Ruby on Rails) or similar frameworks
• You have experience in handling database
Desirable but not required / Nice to have
• You have experience in large scale human genomics-based projects
• You have experience with large-scale data analysis (e.g. genome-wide association studies or population genomics) using genetic and phenotypic datasets (preferably hands-on experience working with large datasets such as UK Biobank)
• You have experience in Data Curation (genomics, experimental or clinical metadata), Quality checks, Data mining, harmonization
• You have experience in next generation sequencing related pipeline development using bioinformatic tools
Education and training
• You hold a master or PhD, or a strong relevant working experience
• You are fluent in English
• You have experience in SQL and NoSQL databases
• You have experience in working with REST API’s for application and services integration
• You are an independent thinker
• You have accuracy and are detail-oriented
• You are a team player
The Offer – Working conditions
• Contract duration: 1 year, with the possibility of extension.
• Estimated annual gross salary: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and consistent with our pay scales.
• Target start date: September 2021.
We provide a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructures, and unique professional career development opportunities. To check out our training and development portfolio, please visit our website in the training section.
We offer and promote a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applicants regardless of age, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity.
The CRG is committed to reconcile a work and family life of its employees and are offering extended vacation period and the possibility to benefit from flexible working hours.
All applications must include:
1. A motivation letter addressed to Mr. Jordi Rambla.
2. A complete CV including contact details.
3. Contact details of two referees.
All applications must be addressed to Mr. Jordi Rambla and be submitted online through the "Apply" button below.
₋ Pre-selection: The pre-selection process will be based on qualifications and expertise reflected on the candidates CVS. It will be merit-based.
₋ Interview: Preselected candidates will be interviewed by the Hiring Manager of the position and a selection panel if required.
₋ Offer Letter: Once the successful candidate is identified the Human Resources department will send a Job Offer, specifying the start day, salary, working conditions, among other important details.
Deadline: Please submit your application by July 15th, 2021.
Suggestions: The CRG believes in ongoing improvement and promotes a culture of feedback. This is one of the reasons we have in place, at your disposal as a candidate, a mechanism to gather your suggestions/complaints concerning your candidate experience in our recruitment processes. Your feedback really matters to us in our aim at creating a positive candidate journey. You can make a difference and help us improve by letting us know your suggestions through the following form.
This project has received funding from the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No EUCANCan-825835.