- You are here: Home > Administrative Director
You are here
The Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) is an international biomedical research institute of excellence, based in Barcelona, Spain, with more than 400 scientists from 44 countries. The CRG is composed by an interdisciplinary, motivated and creative scientific team, which is supported both by a flexible and efficient administration and by high-end and innovative technologies.
In April 2021, the Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) received the renewal of the 'HR Excellence in Research' Award from the European Commission. This is a recognition of the Institute's commitment to developing an HR Strategy for Researchers, designed to bring the practices and procedures in line with the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Charter and Code).
Please, check out our Recruitment Policy
The CRG is a very dynamic and innovative-driven public institute with around 500 international staff and 44M Euros budget. We are looking for an enthusiastic and resilient senior manager to provide leadership in a range of management and support functions across the CRG and ensure smooth operations of the institute. You are committed to create and nurture a professional and supportive environment for world-leading research providing dedicated, timely and effective services to the scientific community. You are a dynamic and assertive manager with a drive for digital transformation, adaptation to global challenges and long-term sustainability. You demonstrate strong leadership and management skills of complex projects and teams in an international environment and are able to communicate equally well with scientists, administrators, senior management and policy makers or other relevant stakeholders. The institute official languages are Catalan and Spanish and the working language is English; fluent spoken and written English and good command of Spanish and Catalan are required.
Reporting to the Director, the main responsabilities of the Administrative Director are:
• Support the Director and contribute to the development of the overall policy, strategic planning, enabling and translating the scientific vision and strategic goals into a clearly articulated operational strategy
• Direct leadership and oversight for Finance and Purchasing, IT, Communications, HR, Health and Safety, Legal, Facility Management, Grants and Secretariat (< 60 internal staff)
• Economic Aspects: Budget preparation and follow-up ensuring sound financial management. Administration and safeguarding CRG´s assets (both financial and physical assets, including facilities and equipment)
• HR management: staff recruitment and team building
• Regulatory Affairs: Ensure compliance with applicable legal regulations
• Liaison with and report to the Board of Trustees (governing body) in the areas of responsibility and accountability for the effective preparation, management, and follow-up of associated activities
• Legal representative: responsible for signing official documents on behalf of CRG, including contracts and agreements, labour contracts and related, public procurement, economic documents
• Promote a culture of continuous improvement and foster and implement improvements in management systems and processes (incl. KPIs, quality management system, digitalisation)
• Extensive management experience (minimum 5 years), preferably in a (international) research or scientific organization;
• Proven track record in leading and managing multi-functional teams in a multi-discipline and multi-cultural environment;
• Experience in reporting to and formulating policies for submission to governing bodies, and in their implementation and tracking;
Education and Training
• University degree preferably in Business Administration, Law or related discipline.
• MBA or similar will be an advantage.
• Alternatively a University degree in Life Sciences/related discipline and MBA/similar or minimum 5 years’ experience in a similar position.
• Fluent spoken and written English. Good command of Spanish and Catalan or alternatively basic level and willingness to learn one of these languages upon incorporation.
• Proficient IT skills (Excel, Power Point).
• Competence in project management.
• Good knowledge of public sector regulations applicable to research foundations.
Skills and Qualifications
• Cooperative leadership style
• Demonstrated track record of resolving complex administrative issues and including providing solutions for implementation
• Capacity to translate the strategic plan into an operational plan that is measurable and achievable with the available resources.
• Documented background in the cost effective management of complex project structures
• Capacity to focus on priorities and to set and revise objectives of the different groups
• Excellent organizational and analytical skills
• Proactive, flexible and problem-solving attitude
• Highly resilient and stress tolerant
• Assertive and tactful personality
• Ability to inspire and engage the staff
The Offer – Working Conditions
• Contract duration: Permanent.
• Estimated annual gross salary: Competitive salary within the public sector.
• Target start date: 1 January 2022.
We provide a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructures, and unique professional career development opportunities. To check out our training and development portfolio, please visit our website in the training section.
We offer and promote a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applicants regardless of age, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity.
The CRG is committed to reconcile a work and family life of its employees and are offering extended vacation period and the possibility to benefit from flexible working hours.
All applications must include:
1. A motivation letter addressed to Luis Serrano.
2. A complete CV including contact details.
3. Contact details of two referees.
All applications must be addressed to Luis Serrano and be submitted online through the "Apply" button below.
₋ Pre-selection: The pre-selection process will be based on qualifications and expertise reflected on the candidates CVS. It will be merit-based.
₋ Interview: Preselected candidates will be interviewed by the Director and a selection panel if required.
₋ Offer Letter: Once the successful candidate is identified the Human Resources department will send a Job Offer, specifying the start day, salary, working conditions, among other important details.
Deadline: Please submit your application by 31/10/2021.
Suggestions: The CRG believes in ongoing improvement and promotes a culture of feedback. This is one of the reasons we have in place, at your disposal as a candidate, a mechanism to gather your suggestions/complaints concerning your candidate experience in our recruitment processes. Your feedback really matters to us in our aim at creating a positive candidate journey. You can make a difference and help us improve by letting us know your suggestions through the following form.